Charles Sturt University
Charles Sturt University

About Us

A brief history of 2MCE-FM

Developed at what was then Mitchell College of Advanced Education by dedicated staff and members of the community, 2MCE began broadcasting full-time in May 1976. The early broadcasts were via a 170 watt transmitter and a bizarre aerial on top of the M.C.A.E. library.

Some of the volunteers involved in the first broadcasts remain on-air today, highlighting the important role community-access radio plays in the lives of many people.

A 1 kW transmitter was installed on Mount Panorama in 1977, and replaced in 1994. A translator service to Orange (with a separate transmitter on Mount Canobolas) came on-line in 1987.

In 1989 renovations increased the number of studios from one shoebox to two somewhat larger work areas for production, located in building 1434 on the Mitchell campus in Bathurst.

2MCE includes two studios in building 1434 being the main On-Air studio, and separate news studios for National Radio News (NRN) operated by Charles Sturt University's School Of Communication and Creative Industries.

2MCE is a major teaching/practical training resource for the School Of Communication and Creative Industries. Students studying broadcast journalism, theatre, advertising and media production can make use of the station's resources for their coursework as subscribers.

These facilities include an Adobe Audition digital multi-track audio production system. Students from other disciplines may also become involved as volunteers.

In our operations, we adhere to to the Codes of Practice developed through the Community Broadcasting Association of Australia.

Top of page