Pre-service teacher use and non-use of ICTs for learning and teaching on professional placement: Investigating pedagogical decisions and defining practice
The main purpose of this study is to investigate the use and non-use of ICTs for learning and teaching by pre-service teachers while on professional placement, and to better understand this by investigating collectively factors identified in relation to preparation and readiness to use ICTs for learning and teaching. The rationale for this approach is to gain a holistic perspective of the cases studied, and to progress beyond predictions of use, self-reported confidence to use, and perceived deficiencies in preparation, to establishing what pre-service teachers can and are using ICTs for in classrooms, and the reasons for their choices.
This study aims to achieve its stated purpose by identifying and defining pre-service teacher use of ICTs for teaching, and by investigating the reasons behind their choices about when and why they use them. To gain a more holistic understanding of the situation, three known areas of influence on pre-service teacher decisions will also be examined: teacher preparation program design and practice, in-service teacher practice, support, advice, and beliefs, and pre-service teacher beliefs.
Why I chose Charles Sturt
I was drawn by the brilliant supervisors.
Engagement and memberships
- Member TTRPG - Technology and Teaching Practice Research Group (Faculty of Arts and Education research priority area group)
- Member Faculty of Arts and Education L&T Committee
- Chair, School of Education Learning and Teaching Committee
- Gill, L. (2012). TPCK: What happens when the 'T' is also the 'C'? In H. Middleton (Ed.), Proceedings of the 7th Biennial International Conference on Technology Education Research, Vol. 1. Griffith Institute for Educational Research, Griffith University.
- Gill, L. (2011). Teaching Dynamics: Evaluating online learning and teaching. Poster presentation for CSUED, Thurgoona campus, 15th - 17th November 2011.
- Gill, L. & Dalgarno, B. (2010). How does pre-service teacher preparedness to use ICTs for learning and teaching develop during the first two years of teacher training? In C.H. Steel, M.J. Keppell, P. Gerbic & S. Housego (Eds.), Curriculum, technology & transformation for an unknown future. Proceedings ascilite Sydney 2010 (pp.371-381). http://ascilite.org.au/conferences/sydney10/procs/Gill-full.pdf
- Gill, L., Cummings, M., Ogden, J., Graf, P., Ward, L. (2009). Interacting with Interact - A sample of practice from the Faculty of Business. Poster presentation for CSUED, Thurgoona campus, 25th - 27th November 2009.
- Gill, L. & Dalgarno, B. (2008). Influences on pre-service teachers' preparedness to use ICTs in the classroom. In Hello! Where are you in the landscape of educational technology? Proceedings ascilite Melbourne 2008. http://www.ascilite.org.au/conferences/melbourne08/procs/gill.pdf
- Gill, L. (2008). Progress and issues with CSU Interact: the learning and teaching experience during our first six months. Presentation for AuSakai 2008, Monash University, 26-28 November 2008.
- Gill, L. & Hardham, G. (2008). CSU Interact Help: A useful customisation of Sakai. Poster presentation for AuSakai 2008. Monash University, 26-28 November 2008.