Charles Sturt University
Charles Sturt University

Information for all Teacher Education Students

Child Protection Requirements

Working with Children Check (WWCC)

The Working with Children Check expires every 5 years. Your check must be current and valid to the end of your placement.

Teacher Education Students completing their placement allocations must ensure that they comply with the working with children legislation requirements of the State/Country of where their placement is occurring. Teacher Education Students must provide evidence to the Professional Experience Office, that they have applied/met the legislation requirements of the relevant State/Country, in order for placement to be confirmed. Please note that a full police check can take an extended period of time, so you should commence the process early to prevent timing problems.

The Australian Institute of Family Studies provides useful information and links relevant to the Australian States and Territories. If the State/Country you are completing your placement in does not require a WWCC or similar please advise the Professional Experience Office so that placement organisation is not unnecessarily delayed.

Child protection requirements for all states

Anaphylaxis training

Anaphylaxis training expires every two years. Please ensure yours is current and valid to the end of your placement before applying for placement.

The NSW Institute of Teachers and the Department of Education and Communities now require that all initial teacher education students have training in anaphylaxis. In order to meet this requirement, ALL CSU students in teacher education courses, other than the Bachelor of Education/Bachelor of Teaching (Birth-5), must complete a free, online training module provided by the Australian Society of Clinical Immunology and Allergy (ASCIA) before undertaking any professional experience placement.  Full details are available here.

This is the only training that will be accepted by the Department to meet the requirement of Anaphylaxis training for initial teacher education students.

The Department does NOT require university personnel to witness that students have demonstrated use of the auto-injector prior to professional experience in schools.

Child Protection Awareness Training

Must be completed every year.

Regardless of where they are located, students studying by distance education are required to complete the online child protection awareness training provided by the NSW Department of Education and Communities. 

Child protection awareness training e-learning module

Student Agreement Declaration

Before undertaking each placement, students must agree to abide by the Professional Experience guidelines on issues such as conflict of interest and conduct during their placement. Prior to each and every placement the relevant Student Agreement Form must be completed and uploaded to InPlace before the placement can commence.

Literacy and Numeracy Test for Initial Teacher Education Students

The Australian Government recently announced the introduction of a Literacy and Numeracy Test for Initial Teacher Education Students (LANTITE).

The Test is designed to assess personal literacy and numeracy capabilities. The Test is computer-based and consists of both multiple choice and short answer questions. The purpose of the Test is to demonstrate to future employers that early career teachers have high levels of literacy and numeracy.

The Test was piloted in 2015 with 5000 students across the country. From 2016 it will be a requirement for all initial teacher education students. Students will need to pass the Test before undertaking their final professional experience placement.

CSU has put into place a range of support options specifically for initial teacher education students preparing for the Test, which are available from the moment an offer is accepted. If you are a current CSU student and have any questions regarding the Test, please email

The following websites provide detailed information about the test:


If you require a transcript to be sent to the NSW Department of Education or the Victorian Institute of Teaching you need to complete an Authorisation for the Release of Academic Transcripts form. Details about how to do this are available here.